Friday, December 12, 2008

Nadal disappoints Chennai!!!


Rafael Nadal's absence from Chennai Open 2009 has left not only me but also each and every tennis fan in Chennai very disappointed. Chennai has been a special place for the world number 1 as he won his very first ATP title in Chennai, but it was the doubles in which he emerged on top. And from there he has gone from strength to strength and now is sitting at the top of the world rankings. I still can't forget the semifinals of last year's edition, Rafa was up against his good friend Moya. I thought it would be a walk in the park of the then World Number 2, but Moya had other ideas and started belting his forehand and the crowd was entirely behind him. I could remember only a few children shouting for Nadal but that did not mean Nadal's point's were not cheered. And Moya took the first set in a tie break and in the second set tie break Nadal came from being knocked out to take the set and also the next set in another tie break. I was standing and watching from the last row of the stadium and it was 3.56 hrs of pure action. Three thrilling tie breakers and it was a treat for all those who came to witness the match. But it would have been even more fitting had that been the finals, which Nadal lost to Youzhny without even putting up a fight. And during the presentation Nadal said "Last year semis, this year finals, next year Winner". The crowd roared as he said those words. Though I'm a Federer fan I started liking Nadal after that tournament because he signed me an autograph, which I treasure a lot. Anyway he has opted for Qatar open this year and will be playing in a field which also has Federer. All we hope is that he comes back in 2010. But one thing is for sure, we will miss Nadal this year.

1 comment: