Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Spurs manager signs new deal

Tottenham fans can breathe a sigh of relief as their talismanic manager Harry Redknapp has signed a deal which will keep him at the club until 2013.

Redknapp's previous contract was due to expire in 2010, but the club have now exercised an option for a two year extension after the former Portsmouth boss guide his side into a Champions League spot.

Commenting on the news, Redknapp hinted that he could spend even longer in North London.

He said: "Who knows? I might stay with Spurs many more years than 2013.
"You never know what is around the corner and, while I have the energy, I think I will carry on for as long as I can. I feel as though I have a good few years left me in yet."

Redknapp pointed to a number of high-profile managers who have continued working into their 60s, and added that there is no substitute for experience in the profession.

The side may not be many people's Premier League betting tips for the title this season, but they should still challenge for Europe.

So it seems Spurs fans should look forward to seeing Redknapp in the dugout for years to come, but that's not the entire story.

After all, this is the man who only a few weeks ago was shamelessly linking himself with the England job. Spurs fans would also do well to remember that Redknapp has issued his standard line upon signing a new deal with a club.

Indeed, when he put pen to paper on a contract with Portsmouth back in May 2006 he said: "I wouldn't go anywhere else now. Definitely not. I mean it this time. I wouldn't go anywhere else for sure. Not a chance. This is the end for me. This is the last job for me."

No one who has bet on the Premier League in the past should need reminding what happened after that.

So yes, Spurs fans should pleased their manager has committed to the club for three more years, but they should also remember that this doesn't necessarily mean he'll be in charge when 2013 rolls around.

No comments:

Post a Comment