Saturday, December 31, 2011

Lewis angry at crowd

Adrian Lewis has aimed an angry swipe at the Alexandra Palace crowd who he says showed him a lack of respect by booing him in his 5-3 Ladbrokes PDC World Championship quarter-final win over Terry Jenkins on Friday.

A packed 'Ally Pally' was clearly on Jenkins' side throughout the tight clash but Lewis defied the atmosphere to come out on top and book a semi-final place.

Lesser players may have been affected by the crowd's reaction but Lewis held his nerve and eventually won to set up a New Year's Day showdown with James Wade. Those following the best online PDC darts odds will be keeping a close eye on things.

However, afterwards 'Jackpot' made it clear he was not happy with the treatment he received from the crowd and admitted he was "fuming" with the way they had got on his back in the tie.

He told Sky Sports: "I thought they were very disrespectful - every time I was throwing, they were booing.

"But, at the end of the day, I got the job done. But I wasn't very happy with them (the crowd) at all, in fact I'm fuming."

Lewis says the fans failed to show him respect as they attempted to put him off by shouting 'miss' when he was about to throw and the Stoke-born star says he was disappointed with his lack of support.

"Even when I was missing I was on the wire every time. But the crowd played a big part in that - they were shouting 'miss!' every time I was throwing," he added.

"I didn't get any respect up there. Like I say, I was disappointed."

Lewis will take on Wade in the late semi-final on Sunday and may have to put up with more hostility from the crowd - especially after these latest comments.

No comments:

Post a Comment