Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Cipriani eyes England return


While the nation’s tabloids will be licking their lips at the return to England of Danny Cipriani, the talented fly-half has made it clear his time in Australia has allowed him to mature as both a person and a player. The 24-year old has recently arrived back home after an 18-month stint in Australia with the Melbourne Rebels, returning to the Premiership after signing a three-year contract with Sale Sharks.

The former Wasps star’s stay Down Under was hardly an incident-free spell, with a number of off-field issues once again often taking the focus away from his considerable talents on the pitch.

That said, the fly-half did prove his ability as a player, impressing many with his performances for a Melbourne side looking to establish themselves in Super Rugby, catching the eye of Sale who moved quickly to hand Cipriani the chance to return to England.

The next eye Cipriani will be hoping to catch will be that of new England head coach Stuart Lancaster. The fly-half has made it clear he is leaving Australia and signing for Sale with a recall to the national side as one of his biggest targets. Cipriani knows that it will be his performances for the Sharks that will be the key to his return to the England setup, as well as keeping himself out of the headlines for off-field incidents.

"I just want to make the news for what I do on the rugby field. When it comes down to it, I've got quite a lot to prove to myself as I know where I can be and what I can do, and I want to achieve that with Sale.”

"I think I will be coming back as a better player and a better person for the experience of playing with Melbourne,” claimed Cipriani.

"Playing for England again is a huge goal of mine. but my performance and focus has to start at my club and right now all my energies are on pre-season with Sale."

Click here for all the latest Betfair Heineken Cup, news, odds and previews, as well as the latest Aviva Premiership Betting.

No comments:

Post a Comment