Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Chambers books Olympic place

Dwain Chambers booked his place at this summer’s Olympics by winning the 100m at the GB trials in Birmingham on Saturday, much to the delight of his fans from within the Betfair community.

The victory takes him one step closer to an incredible comeback after he was only cleared to compete in the games last month following the court of arbitration’s decision to abolish the British Athletics’ by-law that prohibits people who’ve been banned for taking performance enhancing drugs from competing in the planet’s biggest sporting event.

Chambers previously spent two years away from athletics after testing positive for a number of stimulants, in which he tried his hand at a number of sports, most notably American football and rugby league.

However, he controversially returned in 2008 and has impressed, winning gold in the 60 metres at the 2010 World indoor championships in Doha.

He once again proved his class by winning the trials in a time of 10.25 seconds ahead of impressive youngster Adam Gemili and will now head to Helsinki for next week’s European Championships where he’ll aim to achieve the Olympic qualifying time of 10.18.

The 34-year-old was understandably delighted to have won the trials and is desperate to back-up his performance and guarantee a place in the games in his home city.

"I was so scared because the heat and semi-final had not gone well," said Chambers.

"I had great pressure here but I relied on my experience and that’s what pulled me through today. I felt Adam coming and I was saying to myself, 'Stay ahead, stay ahead.’

"Now this is over I can concentrate on getting the time. I’ve still got a journey to go but I am hoping to be there as part of the British team at the Olympic Games."

Elsewhere, excitement is building ahead of the Olympic Boxing events, where Team GB will welcome several new faces, including youngster Anthony ‘AJ’ Joseph, a promising young pugilist from London who will be out to defy the boxing betting odds.

No comments:

Post a Comment