Friday, June 15, 2012

Rookie Zhang Struggles


Chinese teenager, Andy Zhang, did not have the easiest day of his short career, as he produced an opening round 79 in his debut appearance at the US Open. The 14-year old is the youngest ever player to tee off at the tournament, earning his chance at the Olympic Club following the withdrawal of Paul Casey through injury.

The Florida-based rookie may not have enjoyed the best of times on the gruelling course in San Francisco, but he admitted his delight at making his debut at a Major, despite his troubles.

The Chinese-born prodigy is currently way down the leaderboard, and seemingly out of reach of making the cut. However, Zhang has not disgraced himself, after going in to the event at 949/1 in the US Open 2012 odds.

A birdie at the 18th ensured Zhang managed to finish his round under 80, but it is unlikely the teenager will be around at the weekend. The experience will be indescribable for Zhang, who showed plenty of signs that he has an extremely bright future in the sport.

"It was really tough. On the first tee I was like, just please don't hit a hundred yard slice off the first tee, and I was shaking really hard. But I hit a great shot,” admitted Zhang, speaking after his tough day at the Olympic Club.

"After that I didn't hit the ball quite well, but my putting was okay. The course is really tough. So, I'm actually okay with what I shot today. At least I broke 80.

"I think I kept myself pretty calm, and I'm really proud of myself actually. Well, I shouldn't say proud, but I'm really happy to be here and honoured."

The roar the teenager received upon registering a birdie on the last hole of the day will live long in Zhang’s memory, giving him extra motivation to make sure he gets to play with the big boys again.

Whether Zhang will continue to excel beyond his years on the golf circuit remains to be seen. Check out the British Open page on Betfair for more information on the next Major: http://betting.betfair.com/golf/golf-events/british-open/

No comments:

Post a Comment