Thursday, February 16, 2012

Mickelson back in the groove

Phil Mickelson overcame an erratic start to the 2012 season to win the Pebble Beach Pro-Am and claim his first tournament victory since last April.
The four-time major winner overhauled overnight leader Charlie Wi with a stunning eight-under-par 64 to win by two shots and put a slow start to the year behind him.

The 41-year-old began his season at the Humana Challenge and finished a disappointing 49th place. He followed that with rounds of 77 and 68 at the Farmers Insurance Open and appeared to be struggling with his game. Those looking at the latest online US Open golf betting should remember this.

Despite his early struggles, the former world number one wasn’t concerned with his form and was delighted to win his 40th tour title at a "special place".

Mickelson said: "I felt like my game was so close heading into the season, and yet my scores didn't reflect how I felt I was playing.

"To put it together this week, especially the final round, just feels terrific. It gives me a lot of confidence but also inspires me because I believe what I'm doing is correct and that I'm able to play some of my best golf."

Mickelson will no doubt have his sights set on another major title this year. For a man of his talent and experience, four victories is a modest return.

He clearly enjoys playing at the Masters – having claimed the Green Jacket three times, most recently at the event two years ago at Augusta. His only other success came at the PGA Championship in 2005.

Mickelson finished joint second at last year’s Open Championship and has come up just short at the US Open five times in his career. He will no doubt be targeting a maiden victory at those tournaments in 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment