Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Day relishing O'Sullivan test

Ryan Day admits he is looking forward to facing Ronnie O'Sullivan in the last-16 of the Wyldecrest Park Homes Welsh Open.

Day powered his way past veteran Jimmy White in Newport on Monday, demolishing the Englishman by four frames to nil in a mere 48 minutes.

Impressive breaks of 125, 68 and 102 for the Pontycymmer potter will have O'Sullivan worried, particularly as Day is coming into form at exactly the right time and anyone thinking about placing a bet should remember this.

Speaking after the match, he said: "Last week I couldn't hit a barn door in practice, but I played well today.

"When Jimmy was playing in the qualifiers I was following the live scoring and rooting for him, because I knew it would be a great atmosphere tonight. I'm looking forward to playing Ronnie now."

Day admits that belief has been the key to his recent upturn in form, confessing that he was losing to players he should never have lost to earlier in the season.
The nadir was at the Players Tour Championship events, after which he dropped out of the top 16 in the world rankings.

He continued: "I was trying to grasp something but kept losing and I was feeling dejected. It knocked me for six. After the PTC series finished it was a relief because I could look forward to the UK Championship. I beat Jamie Burnett 9-5, from 4-2 down, and since then I've had more belief."

Day is a long shot in Ladbrokes snooker bets to win the Welsh Open and will know he will have to be at his best if he is to beat The Rocket on Wednesday evening.
The pair met at the second round stage of the 2006 World Championship when Day forced his way into a 9-7 lead, only to lose 10-13. He will be hoping for more luck this time around.

Day can take strength in one thing as the Welshman is guaranteed to have a partisan home crowd on his side.

No comments:

Post a Comment