Friday, April 6, 2012

Donald - Nothing special required for first major


World number one Luke Donald will look to draw on recent success as he bids for his first ever major win at the Masters.

Donald has won five tournaments in the last 14 months during his ascent to the top of the world rankings and topped the money lists on both sides of the Atlantic in 2011.

"Certainly in terms of confidence I feel like I'm a different player. But also, knowing that with those five victories, probably only one of them I played what I really thought was really good golf," said Donald.

"Four of them I thought I didn't play my best and I still managed to win. I think that was important for me to know that I don't have to go out there and press and play my best to win."

Despite being the form player in recent times, Donald is still searching for that elusive first major success. He has finished in the top 10 six times in 37 attempts but has never finished higher than third place.

The 34-year-old has featured at Augusta eight times and has a best placed finish of third, in 2005. Donald, despite being up against a fiercely competitive field, does not believe he has to play his best golf to claim the Green Jacket.

"I think I have to play very solidly. If I play my best, hopefully that will be good enough," added Donald.
"But I feel like what I've learnt, especially from the last year or two, is that I don’t need to play quite my best. I just need to play good golf."

Donald will play alongside Italy's Francesco Molinari and American Nick Watney when the tournament begins on Thursday; a grouping golf betting pundits hope will mesh to help them capitalize on golf major bets.

No comments:

Post a Comment